A specialty of Cape Town, South Africa, this hefty sandwich combines bologna and french fries with piri-piri hot sauce. This recipe first appeared in our April 2011 special Sandwich Issue with author Daniel Pinkwater’s article Say My Name.
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 6 slices bologna
- 1 (8″) crusty Italian roll, toasted
- 2 cups cooked thick-cut french fries
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- Piri-piri sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- Heat oil in a 10″ skillet over medium-high heat and add bologna; cook, turning once, until browned, 1–2 minutes. Split roll and top bottom half with bologna. Cover with fries, ketchup, and piri-piri. Add lettuce; cover with top half of roll.