In this cocktail from Martin Cate of Smuggler’s Cover in San Francisco, pot-still Jamaican rum, redolent of ripe banana, makes a natural combination with banana liqueur. Cinnamon syrup gives the drink a spicy depth. This recipe first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140, along with Jeff Berry’s story Endless Summer.
- 1 1⁄2 oz. Jamaican dark rum, such as Coruba
- 1⁄2 oz. Jamaican gold rum, such as Smith & Cross
- 1⁄2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 oz. cinnamon syrup, such as Trader Tiki’s or Sonoma Syrup Co.
- 1⁄2 oz. banana liqueur
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice; shake until chilled. Strain into a rocks glass and fill with ice.