The humble, dependable turnip may surprise you with its sweet warmth.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 3 medium turnips, peeled, trimmed, and diced
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- ⅓ cups heavy cream
- 2 tbsp. yellow onion, peeled and minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 4 eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 6-cup souffle dish with 1 tsp. butter, dust with flour (tap out excess), and set aside.
- Boil turnips in a pot of salted water over high heat until soft, 8-10 minutes; drain well and mash until smooth. Melt remaining butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and mashed turnips and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste. Remove pot from heat and gradually stir in egg yolks. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form, gently fold into turnip mixture, and spoon into prepared dish. Bake until puffed and golden, 35-40 minutes.