Chef Mary Sue Milliken showed us how to craft this decadent eggnog, which incorporates whipped cream, egg whites, and spices into a pudding-like zabaglione base. It first appeared in our December 2013 issue along with Karen Shimizu’s article A Nog Like No Other.
- 1 cup light rum
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar, divided
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground anise
- 1 cup milk
- Whisk rum, 1⁄2 cup sugar, and egg yolks in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until very thick, 2–3 minutes; chill.
- Whip cream in a bowl until soft peaks form; chill.
- In a large bowl, whip egg whites, 2 tbsp. sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and anise until soft peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream and cooled egg yolk mixture into whites; stir in milk. To serve, ladle eggnog into mugs and garnish with ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Serve additional rum on the side, if you like.