Orange Meringue Kisses
Modeled after the classic Creamscicle, these orange meringue kisses sandwiched with buttery white chocolate, are a lively and bright cookie to eat after the big holiday meal as a nouveau after-dinner mint.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp. orange extract
- 10 drops yellow food coloring
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 6 oz. white chocolate, melted
- Heat oven to 200°. Whisk sugar and egg whites together in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until mixture reaches 140° on an instant-read thermometer. Remove bowl from pan, and using a hand mixer, beat on high speed until cooled, about 6 minutes. Add extract and food colorings and beat until evenly combined. Transfer meringue to a piping bag fitted with a ⅜” star tip, and pipe 1″-wide mounds on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake until meringues are crisp and dry, about 2 hours. Turn oven off and let meringues cool completely in oven.
- Dip the bottom of a meringue mound in white chocolate and sandwich together with another meringue mound; repeat with remaining meringues and white chocolate. Let chocolate set before serving.