In this recipe for Soupe aux Champignons et Riz Sauvage a l’Érable, rich, creamy soup is balanced by the addition of hearty grains and sweet maple syrup. This recipe first appeared in The Sweet Life, a story about Quebec’s second-largest maple syrup-producing region, Bas-St-Laurent.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2⁄3 cup wild rice
- 1 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cup thinly sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Thinly sliced chives, for serving
- In a 4-qt. saucepan, bring stock and rice to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and cook, stirring, for 40 minutes. Add shallots and continue cooking until rice is tender, 5–10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk half-and-half, flour, thyme, and pepper; whisk into soup. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until soup thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in maple syrup, salt, and pepper; divide soup between 6 serving bowls. Garnish with chives.