Yogurt Parfait with Vanilla-Rhubarb Compote
Contrasting layers of sweet vanilla-infused rhubarb, salty nutty granola, and cool tart yogurt make this a refreshing and satisfying breakfast.
Yield: serves 4
FOR THE COMPOTE:
- 5 stalks rhubarb (about 1 ½ lb.), cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 2 oz. meyer lemon juice (from about ½ meyer lemon)
FOR THE PARFAIT:
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 cups Pistachio-Coconut Olive Oil Granola
- Make the compote: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring the rhubarb, vanilla, water, and honey to a boil. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for half an hour, until a thick sauce has formed. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Cool completely before serving. The compote keeps, stored in the refrigerator, for up to two weeks, and can be made in advance of serving.
- Assemble the parfait: Into an 8 oz tumbler or parfait glass, scoop about 1 tbsp. of compote, spreading it evenly across the bottom of the cup. Cover with about 2 tbsp of granola, then cover that with about ½ cup of greek yogurt, spreading it evenly across the cup. Top off the glass with another layer of compote followed by granola.