Yuca con Mojo (Yucca with Garlic Sauce)
We discovered this distinctly Cuban side dish at La Fontana, a paladar—a privately run home-restaurant—in Havana.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 lb. yucca, halved crosswise, peeled, and cut into thick wedges
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 scallions, trimmed and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 lime
- Put yucca in a medium pot, cover with cold water by 2", and add a pinch of salt. Simmer over medium-high heat until very soft and slightly translucent, 30-40 minutes. Drain, then arrange on a platter.
- Meanwhile, heat olive and vegetable oils in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and garlic, season to taste with salt, and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in parsley and lime juice. Serve yucca drizzled with the warm garlic sauce.