Legendary bartender Jerry Thomas created this elegant, bittersweet cocktail in 1876; an update with a touch of absinthe keeps it lively. This recipe first appeared in the 2012 SAVEUR 100, with the article Cognac Cocktails.
- 2 oz. cognac, such as Frapin Cuvee VSOP
- 1 tsp. simple syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp. maraschino liqueur, such as Luxardo
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- 2 dashes absinthe
- Twist of lemon peel, to garnish
- Stir cognac, syrup, liqueur, bitters, and absinthe with a bar spoon in a cocktail shaker filled with cracked ice until chilled, about 15 seconds. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass; garnish with lemon twist.