How to Twist Pretzels
Big chewy soft pretzels with a nice crust are one of our favorite snacks, and they’re easier to make at home than you might think! SAVEUR executive food editor Todd Coleman demonstrates how to form the perfect pretzels at home, using two simple techniques.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
• Pretzel dough
• 2 tbsp. baking soda dissolved in one cup of water
• Parchment paper
• Baking stone
WHAT TO DO
1. Heat a baking stone in an oven to 500°. Prepare pretzel dough.
2. Shape the dough: For the first method, roll out the dough into a long rope on a lightly-floured surface. Grab both ends, and twist into the air. Let it land, and then stretch out into pretzel shape. For the second method, make a U-shape with the pretzel dough rope. Cross over both ends, then cross them again. Pull the ends down over the bottom of the U, into the perfect pretzel shape.
3. After shaped, let the pretzel dough rise for tweny minutes. Brush the surface with baking soda water. Slide pretzel on parchment paper onto the heated baking stone; bake until dark brown, about 15 minutes.
4. Let cool for about 10 minutes; serve warm with butter.