Bake leftover blintzes under a thick orange-scented custard as a dramatic dessert or breakfast casserole. This recipe first appeared in the iPad edition of our December 2013 issue along with the story Blissful Blintz.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 3⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 10 eggs, plus 1 yolk
- 1 lb. farmer’s cheese, at room temperature
- 6 oz. small curd cottage cheese
- 3 tbsp. cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- Whisk flour, 2 tbsp. sugar, and the salt in a bowl; set aside. Whisk milk, 1 tbsp. oil, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 4 eggs in a bowl until combined. Whisk dry ingredients into wet to make a batter. Heat an 8’’ nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour ¼ cup batter into center of skillet. Working quickly, tilt skillet, spreading batter evenly. Cook, without flipping, until top is slightly dry, 1–2 minutes. Slide crêpe onto a plate; repeat with remaining batter.
- Stir 1½ tbsp. sugar, plus remaining vanilla, yolk, cheeses, and lemon zest in a bowl. Working with 1 crêpe at a time, spread about 3 tbsp. filling along bottom third; tuck in sides and roll into a loose cylinder.
- Heat oven to 350°. Arrange blintzes in 9”x 13” baking dish. Whisk remaining sugar and eggs, plus sour cream, and orange juice in a bowl until smooth; pour over blintzes and bake until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes.