This is chef Ignacio Mattos’ version of a hearty cheesesteak sandwich that is served in restaurants and cafés throughout Uruguay.
What You Will Need
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 (1/4″) boneless strip loin steak
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 milk bun or kaiser roll
- 2 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 (1-oz.) slice fresh mozzarella
- 1 hard-boiled egg, cooled, peeled, and sliced
- 2-3 pickled hot peppers
- Lettuce, to serve
- Tomato, to serve
- Heat oven broiler. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet placed over medium-high flame. Season steak with salt and pepper; cook, flipping once, until browned and cooked through, 3–4 minutes. Spread mayonnaise on insides of a sliced milk bun or kaiser roll; broil until lightly toasted, 1–2 minutes. Place bacon and fresh mozzarella over one half of roll; broil until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Add reserved steak; top with egg, pickled peppers, lettuce, and tomato. Serve with french fries, if you like.