This is chef Ignacio Mattos’ version of a hearty cheesesteak sandwich that is served in restaurants and cafés throughout Uruguay.
What You Will Need
Uruguayan Steak Sandwich (Chivito)
This hearty cheese steak sandwich is served in restaurants and cafés throughout Uruguay.
Yield: makes 1 sandwich
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 (1/4″) boneless strip loin steak
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 milk bun or kaiser roll
- 2 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 (1-oz.) slice fresh mozzarella
- 1 hard-boiled egg, cooled, peeled, and sliced
- 2-3 pickled hot peppers
- Lettuce, to serve
- Tomato, to serve
- Heat oven broiler. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet placed over medium-high flame. Season steak with salt and pepper; cook, flipping once, until browned and cooked through, 3–4 minutes. Spread mayonnaise on insides of a sliced milk bun or kaiser roll; broil until lightly toasted, 1–2 minutes. Place bacon and fresh mozzarella over one half of roll; broil until cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Add reserved steak; top with egg, pickled peppers, lettuce, and tomato. Serve with french fries, if you like.