Coconut Lime Preserves
Rich coconut milk and tangy lime meld in a sweet tropical spread from Stéphane Mazières, former chef at Hôtel Le Toiny in St. Barths. We like it spread generously on a chewy, crusty baguette. This recipe first appeared in our March 2014 issue.
- 1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 (13.5-oz.) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. powdered pectin
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened grated coconut (optional)
- Bring sugar and coconut milk to a simmer in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat: cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 1½ hours.
- Stir in ¼ tsp. powdered pectin, the grated zest of 1 lime, and, if you’d like a bit of texture, ½ cup unsweetened grated coconut; bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Pour mixture into two sterilized 8-oz. jars: seal with a lid and chill up to 1 week. Alternatively, the jars can be processed for storage up to 6 months (see illustrated steps in “Canned Peaches“).