Shrimp are sautéed in smoky bacon fat and served simply on grilled bread with rosemary for this popular snack at Venice, Italy’s Da Fiore restaurant. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story Happy Hour: Bar Snacks.
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary, plus 1/2 tsp. minced
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (1/2″-thick) slices multigrain country bread, lightly toasted and halved
- Heat drippings and garlic in a 12” skillet over medium-high heat. Fry rosemary sprig, flipping once, until crisp, 1–2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer rosemary to a paper towel to drain. Season shrimp with pepper; add to skillet and fry, flipping once, until golden and slightly crisp, 3–4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve shrimp on toasted bread. Sprinkle with minced rosemary and freshly ground black pepper; garnish with fried rosemary sprig.