Fried Camembert with Ham, Melon, and Cranberry Vinaigrette
Wedges of gooey fried Camembert are served with both a sweet wine-spiked raspberry jam and a tart cranberry vinaigrette at the Nauthóll bar in Reykjavik, Iceland. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story Happy Hour: Bar Snacks.
- ½ cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 (8-oz.) wheel Camembert, quartered and frozen for 1 hour
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries, defrosted and drained
- ¼ cups dry red wine
- 3 tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- ⅓ cups dried cranberries
- ¼ cups balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cups sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cups canola oil, plus more for frying
- 1 oz. sliced Parma ham or prosciutto
- 1 (2”) wedge cantaloupe, peeled and cut into ½” pieces
- 2 tsp. hulled pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- Chervil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Sliced baguette, lightly toasted, for serving
- Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in 3 shallow bowls. Dredge Camembert wedges in flour, then dip in eggs, and coat in bread crumbs; transfer to a parchment paper–lined plate and freeze until ready to fry.
- Bring raspberries, wine, granulated sugar, and half the salt to a simmer in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; cook, mashing berries until sauce is thickened, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; chill jam. Wipe pan clean; simmer half the cranberries, the vinegars, mustard, and brown sugar until cranberries soften and vinegars are reduced by half, 8–10 minutes. Let cool slightly and transfer to a blender. Add remaining salt and the lemon juice and purée until smooth. With the motor running, drizzle in oil until emulsified; set vinaigrette aside.
- Heat 2” oil into a 4-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Working in 2 batches, fry frozen Camembert until golden brown and crisp, 2–3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cheese to paper towels to drain. To serve, spread some of the reserved jam and vinaigrette on a serving plate; arrange ham and cantaloupe. Top with fried cheese; garnish with remaining cranberries, the pumpkin seeds, and chervil. Serve with toasted baguette on the side.