Potato starch replaces flour as the thickener in a rich brown gravy that’s great with roasted turkey.
Yield: makes 2 Cups
- 20 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 qt. chicken stock, plus 1/2 cup
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp. potato starch
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 425°. Toss garlic with oil and wrap in aluminum foil; roast in oven until tender, 35–40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, squeeze cloves from skins into a bowl; set aside.
- While garlic is roasting, simmer 1 qt. stock and wine in a 4-qt. saucepan until reduced by half, about 30 minutes. Mix potato starch with 2 tbsp. cool water to form a slurry and whisk into simmering stock. Simmer, stirring constantly, 2–3 minutes, until mixture has thickened. Place in a blender with garlic and 1⁄2 cup chicken stock and purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.