Kela ka Raita (Yogurt with Banana and Grated Coconut)
At the Indian table, a variety of yogurt-based raitas mollify the tongue-searing effect of chiles. This version, made fruity and sweet with the addition of coconut and banana, is adapted from Foods of the World: The Cooking of India (Time Life, 1969). This recipe first appeared as part of the digital edition of our August/September 2014 special India issue.
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen grated coconut
- 1 cup plain, full-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. minced cilantro
- 1 medium-ripe banana, peeled and sliced crosswise ¼” thick
- Melt ghee in an 8” skillet over medium-high heat. Cook mustard seeds until they pop, 1-2 minutes. Stir in coconut and remove from heat. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in 2 tbsp. yogurt; let cool. Stir in remaining yogurt, the salt, cilantro, and banana; cover with plastic wrap and chill one hour before serving.