Chewy dates and chunky peach preserves form the filling for these cakelike bars. This recipe first appeared in our March 2014 issue with the story A Change of Seasons.
For the Filling
- 2¼ cups peach jam
- 2 cups pitted dates, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
For the Crust
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Make the filling: Simmer jam, dates, lemon juice, and 3 tbsp. water in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Cook until dates are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Make the crust: Heat oven to 400°. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, and using an electric hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. With the motor running, slowly add flour mixture and oats; beat until a crumbly dough forms. Press half the dough into the bottom of an 8″ square baking dish. Spread filling over crust. Crumble remaining dough over the top. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.