"You usually think of roast beef with horseradish," says Fundamental LA's Philip Pretty, who created this newfangled, soon-to-be-classic combination. "But this walnut romesco has elements that bring out the beefiness, without overpowering it." Keep the romesco chunky for textural contrast.
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 roasted bell pepper, peeled and seeded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Garlic aïoli, for serving
- 2 ciabatta rolls, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄2 lb. thinly sliced deli roast beef
- Homemade pickles, for serving
Combine toasted walnuts, oil, paprika, ancho chile powder, garlic, roasted bell pepper, salt, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor; purée until coarsely ground and set romesco aside. To assemble the sandwiches, spread garlic aïoli on bottoms of rolls; top with roast beef, homemade pickles, reserved romesco, and tops of rolls.