Rubyan Meshwi (Emirati Grilled Prawns)
At Abu Dhabi’s Al Arish restaurant, jumbo prawns are basted in a spicy-sweet ketchup-based sauce before they are grilled. This recipe first appeared in our May 2014 issue with the story Afternoon Delights.
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 1 tsp. whole white peppercorns
- 3 chiles de árbol, stemmed
- 3⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. malt vinegar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. tamarind concentrate
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lb. unpeeled jumbo prawns or shrimp, preferably head-on
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Grind sugar, mustard, oregano, peppercorns, and chiles in a spice grinder into a powder; transfer to a bowl. Stir in paste, ketchup, vinegar, oil, tamarind, and soy sauce; reserve 1⁄3 cup sauce. Add prawns to bowl and toss; let sit 20 minutes.
- Heat a charcoal grill or set a gas grill to high. (Alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.) Grill prawns, flipping once and basting frequently with reserved sauce, until slightly charred and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.