Sausage and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
A simple but satisfying casserole bursting with sausage and cheese is an easy favorite for late, lazy weekend breakfasts. This recipe first appeared in our October 2013 issue with the article The Love of the Chase.
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, for greasing
- 6 slices white bread
- 1 lb. bulk breakfast sausage, casing removed
- 10 oz. grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 tsp. dry mustard
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish with butter. Lay bread slices, overlapping slightly, over bottom of dish. Heat a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, stirring and breaking up meat into large crumbles until browned, 5–7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to dish and arrange over bread. Sprinkle half the cheese over sausage. Whisk milk, mustard, eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl; pour milk mixture over sausage and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover dish with foil and set aside 10 minutes. Bake, covered, until eggs are set, about 30 minutes. Turn oven to broil. Uncover casserole and cook until cheese is browned, about 3 minutes.