When making this elegant seafood appetizer from Franklin restaurant in Tasmania, make sure you wash the octopus thoroughly to remove any grit.
- 2 lb. cleaned fresh or frozen and thawed octopus tentacles, rinsed
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. fennel pollen
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp. picked fennel fronds
- Heat oven to 450°. Heat a 12″ ovenproof skillet over high. Working in batches, cook tentacles, turning as needed, until browned, 2–3 minutes. Transfer skillet of tentacles to oven; roast until tender, 8–10 minutes. Return skillet to stove; heat over medium-high. Add vinegar; cook until evaporated, 1–2 minutes. Transfer tentacles to a cutting board; slice ¾” thick and arrange on a serving platter. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with fennel pollen, paprika, and salt. Garnish with fronds.