Seared Octopus with Fennel Pollen and Smoked Paprika
When making this elegant seafood appetizer from Franklin restaurant in Tasmania, make sure you wash the octopus thoroughly to remove any grit.
Yield: serves 2
- 2 lb. cleaned fresh or frozen and thawed octopus tentacles, rinsed
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. fennel pollen
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp. picked fennel fronds
- Heat oven to 450°. Heat a 12" ovenproof skillet over high. Working in batches, cook tentacles, turning as needed, until browned, 2–3 minutes. Transfer skillet of tentacles to oven; roast until tender, 8–10 minutes. Return skillet to stove; heat over medium-high. Add vinegar; cook until evaporated, 1–2 minutes. Transfer tentacles to a cutting board; slice ¾" thick and arrange on a serving platter. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with fennel pollen, paprika, and salt. Garnish with fronds.