Jalapeños add a twist to classic cornbread stuffing, developed by chef Mary Sue Milliken. To stuff a 10- to 12-pound bird, we recommend tripling the recipe, which first appeared in the iPad edition of our November 2013 issue with the article State of Grace.
- Unsalted butter, for greasing
- 6 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 medium jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, roughly chopped
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 3 1⁄2 cups cubed cornbread, lightly toasted
Heat oven to 375°. Butter a 2-qt. baking dish and set aside. Heat bacon in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a bowl. Add onion to pan and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeños and celery; cook until softened, 2–3 minutes more. Stir in reserved bacon, along with parsley and stock; bring to a simmer and remove from heat. Stir in cornbread and toss to coat. Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake until top is crisp and golden brown, 25–30 minutes.