Sweet Corn and Blueberry Trifles
Layers of sweet corn pastry cream alternate with an herb-infused blueberry compote and a buttery shortbread crumble in a summery spin on the classic trifle, developed by Yewande Komolafe for her story Summer, Concentrated. Any other berry at its peak, such as blackberries, makes a delicious substitution; try layering the ingredients into mason jars for an easy-to-transport picnic dessert.
Yield: makes about 12 individual trifles
For the Corn Pastry Cream
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup freeze-dried corn kernels, preferably Just Corn
- 1 tbsp. powdered gelatin
- 2 cups milk
- 2 ears sweet corn, husks and kernels removed and reserved
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>3</sub> cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Corn Shortbread Crumble and to Assemble
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup flour
- 3 tbsp. freeze-dried corn kernels
- 2 tbsp. corn flour
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> tsp. kosher salt
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>8</sub> tsp. baking powder
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup unsalted butter, cut into 1" cubes and chilled
- <a href="https://www.saveur.com/blueberry-compote-recipe/">Blueberry Compote</a>, for serving
- Make the pastry cream: Pulse dried corn kernels in a mini food processor until coarsely ground; set aside. Combine gelatin and ¼ cup cold water in a bowl and let sit until softened, about 5 minutes; set aside. Combine milk with corn husks and kernels in a 4-qt saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; remove from heat and steep 30 minutes. Remove and discard husks. Transfer milk mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Strain milk mixture, discarding solids, and return to saucepan along with the dried corn kernels, and salt. Return to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk sugar and egg yolks in a bowl. Slowly whisk ½ cup hot milk mixture into egg mixture until smooth, then transfer egg mixture to saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and add gelatin mixture, whisking until gelatin is dissolved. Strain custard through a fine strainer into a bowl, set over a larger bowl of ice water. Cover surface of custard directly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold. Beat cream to soft peaks and gently fold into custard; set aside.
- Make the shortbread crumble: Heat oven to 325°. Pulse flour, corn kernels, corn flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a food processor until finely ground. Add butter and pulse into pea-size crumbles. Add egg yolk; pulse until shortbread mixture comes together. Spread on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely and break into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Assemble the trifles: Layer pastry cream and blueberry compote in small glasses or ramekins; top with shortbread crumble.
MORE TO READ
Our Best Pumpkin Recipes Celebrate the Flavor of Fall
Think outside the pie this autumn with these craveable cooking ideas from around the globe.
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.