Simple syrup infused with anise and cardamom adds depth and sweetness to this genever and persimmon cocktail from Manhattan restaurant The Breslin.
For the Spiced Syrup
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 5 pods cardamom
- 2 whole star anise
For the Cocktail
- 1 1⁄2 oz. genever, preferably Bols Genever
- 1 oz. fresh persimmon juice
- 3⁄4 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 oz. anise- and cardamom-spiced syrup
- 1⁄2 oz. dry vermouth, preferably Dolin Blanc
- 1 whole star anise, for garnish
Make the simple syrup: Combine sugar, cardamom, star anise, and 1 cup of water in a 2-qt. saucepan; cook over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and cool. Makes about 1 cup. Syrup will keep, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
Make the cocktail: Combine gin, persimmon juice, lemon juice, syrup, and vermouth in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; shake vigorously and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with star anise.