Bouchon’s Pâte Sucrée
This butter-rich version of pâte sucrée (sweet pie crust) from pastry chef Scott Wheatfill of Las Vegas’ Bouchon Bakery, has a bit of almond flour, lending a nuttiness that complements sweet fruit fillings. Use it to make his holiday appropriate Apple Pie with almond cream and homemade apple butter.
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 3 1⁄2 tbsp. confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg, beaten, 1½ tbsp. measured out for use
- 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄4 cup almond flour
- Cream butter and sugar in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy, 1–2 minutes. Add 1½ tbsp. egg and the vanilla; mix until combined. With the motor running, slowly add flours; mix until dough forms. Flatten dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; chill at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.