Cranberry Swirl Semolina Cake
A burnished red wine and cranberry sauce swirls into this simple semolina cake, perfect for breakfast or a light afternoon snack.
Featured in: Bake Cranberries into Your Cake
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup fine semolina
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- Heat the oven to 350° and grease an 8-inch round baking pan with nonstick baking spray. In a small saucepan, bring 1⁄4 cup sugar, the cranberries, wine, and a pinch of salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook, stirring, until the cranberries burst and are soft, about 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and mash the cranberries into a lightly chunky sauce.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the 1 teaspoon salt with the flour, semolina, and baking powder. In a large bowl, beat the remaining 1 cup sugar with the butter using a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes (or as long as your arm can last). Stir in the vanilla, then add the eggs, one at time, stirring after each to incorporate fully before adding the next. Add the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Drop spoonfuls of the cranberry sauce over the batter and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter. Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool completely before serving.