John Karangis, Executive chef at Union Square Events, shared this recipe for a refreshing cucumber salsa. Use a mix of cucumbers for texture and flavor contrast, especially lemon cucumbers and watermelon gherkins if you can find them. Add the herbs no more than 2 hours before serving, and use whichever variety you like, though the lemon balm is especially nice.
- 1 cup cucumbers, a mix of yellow, green, and watermelon gherkins, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp. red onion, diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red jalapeño, finely diced
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. mint, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. lemon balm, thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, add the cucumbers, onion, lime juice, olive oil, jalapeño, and a pinch of salt. Toss to combine and taste for salt. Add more if desired. Stir in the sliced herbs, and serve immediately.