This savory French breakfast of baked, cream-soaked toast and eggs is deceptively simple (and scalable) but lavish. The cream soaks into the garlic-rubbed bread and thickens to a rich sauce right in the skillet resulting in a savory French toast. Our recipe is inspired by the great English food writer Elizabeth David’s 1955 collection of seasonal French fare, Summer Cooking. She advises using day-old bread. For a fluffier touch, start with our recipe for homemade milk bread.
Featured in: "Baked Toast With Cream and Eggs May Be the Perfect Brunch Dish."
- 2 tbsp. softened unsalted butter, bacon fat, or duck fat, divided
- Two ½-in.-thick slices of good-quality white bread
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- ½ cups heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. finely chopped chives
Learn to Crack Eggs with One Hand for Easier French Toast
Continue to Next Story