In desolate northern Nevada, the massive festival Burning Man conjures a weeklong city from thin air, bringing pop-up restaurants, bakeries, and bars. For her pop-up supper club at the festival, marketing consultant Victoria Davies created this grilled steak recipe, which first appeared in our June/July 2014 issue with Kevin Farrell's story "Fire in the Desert." Honey adds a contrasting sweetness to the charred tender beef suffused with ginger, lime, and garlic, which can be marinated anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight.
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 (5") piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (1 1/2-lb.) flank steak