This recipe, from Madhur Jaffrey’s A Taste of India, is part of SAVEUR’s November 2017 cookbook club. Though we’ve tested this recipe in the SAVEUR test kitchen, we present it in its original, unedited form from the book. Says Jaffrey:
This very simple mushroom dish may be served with almost any Indian meal. It may also be served cold, as a salad.
- 12 oz. mushrooms
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 6 oz. smallish tomatoes, shopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground fennel seeds (fennel seeds may be crushed in a mortar or ground in a clean coffee grinder)
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Wipe the mushrooms with a wet cloth and cut into 1⁄4-in this slices.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high flame. When hot, put in the mushrooms. Stir and fry the mushrooms for about 2 minutes. Add all the other ingredients. Stir and cook until the tomatoes are soft.