Roasted Asparagus with Tahini Ranch
At Charleston’s The Grocery, chef Kevin Johnson gives asparagus a quick turn in the oven, then serves the spears with a zesty, herb-flecked tahini-yogurt sauce—a grown-up take on ranch dressing—which also pairs well with other roasted spring vegetables, such as radishes, baby beets, and young Japanese turnips.
Featured in: All The Best Ways to Cook Asparagus
- ½ cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lb. medium asparagus, trimmed
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Place a baking sheet or roasting pan in the oven and preheat to 450°F.
- In a blender, add the yogurt, tahini, herbs, lemon juice, and buttermilk, and purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate.
- Spread the asparagus in a single layer on a cutting board. Drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper, and transfer in a single layer to the preheated baking sheet. Roast until the asparagus are slightly browned all over but still hold their shape, 3–5 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately or at room temperature, with the yogurt sauce for dipping.