What You Will Need
Roasted Tomato and Grape Toasts with Fava Bean Purée
Dried fava bean purée is served all over Puglia, typically with cooked bitter greens and fried or toasted bread. Giorgia Goggi adds lemon juice and miso, and uses it as a base for crostini. Leftovers are an excellent dip for raw vegetables.
Yield: serves 6-8
Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried fava beans (7 oz.)
- 2 small Yukon Gold potatoes (5 oz.), peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. white miso
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 1⁄4 lb. cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb. large green and red grapes
- 4 red spring onions (3 oz.), sliced
- 1⁄2 tsp. chile flakes
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fig molasses or maple syrup
- 12 medium-thick slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 2 tsp. sesame seeds, for garnish
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Purple or green basil leaves, for garnish
- In a large bowl, add the fava beans and enough cold water to cover by 3 inches. Soak for 2 hours, then drain. Rinse well and drain again.
- In a medium pot over high heat, add the beans, potatoes, garlic, and enough fresh water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a strong simmer and cook until the beans are very soft, 40 minutes. Drain well. Remove and discard the garlic.
- Transfer the beans and potatoes to a blender. Add the lemon juice, miso, and ¼ cup oil, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, season with salt to taste, and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it against the surface. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, roast the tomatoes: Preheat an oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, grapes, spring onions, chile flakes, remaining ¼ cup olive oil, vinegar, and fig molasses or maple syrup; toss to coat. Season with salt, then pour onto the prepared sheet, spreading in a single layer. Roast until bursting and caramelized, 35 minutes.
- To serve, spread each bread slice with 2 heaping tablespoons of purée. Top generously with tomatoes and grapes, some sesame seeds, flaky salt, and a few small basil leaves. Serve immediately.