Like the cooks at Crook’s Corner, the celebrated restaurant in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, we recommend using stone-ground grits for this shrimp and grits recipe. They take more time to cook, but their flavor and texture are richer than instant grits. For quicker cooking, let the grits soak in water in the refrigerator overnight.
What You Will Need
- 1 cup white or yellow stone-ground grits
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb. medium shrimp (about 30), peeled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges
- 1⁄2 tsp. hot sauce, preferably Tabasco
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and whisk in grits. Cook, whisking frequently, until grits are tender and creamy, 30–40 minutes. (Whisk in more water for thinner grits.) Whisk in cheddar, parmesan, and 1 tbsp. butter and season with salt; cover and set aside.
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel–lined plate; set aside. Reserve cooking fat in skillet.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Over medium-high heat, add shrimp to skillet and cook, turning once, until bright pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate with a slotted spoon. Lower heat to medium; add mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until golden, 1 minute. Raise heat to high, add chicken broth, and scrape bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Cook until broth reduces by half, 3 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet along with the lemon juice, remaining butter, and hot sauce and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Divide grits between 4 bowls; top each with shrimp and its sauce. Garnish each bowl with bacon, scallions, and lemon wedges.