This funky and complex shrimp stir-fry owes its deep flavor to Cantonesestyle XO sauce . For this recipe, chef Dan Holzman and cookbook author Matt Rodbard learned to make a homemade version of the flavor-packed condiment— using traditional ingredients including dried scallops, shrimp, and chiles—from Californian chef Jack Lin, but jarred versions are available online and from many Asian grocery stores. Check out 27 other Chinese recipes better than takeout.
Featured in: "The Secrets of Making XO Sauce, the Magic Condiment of China."
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 2 oz. long beans, trimmed and cut into 6-inch pieces (or substitute green beans, trimmed)
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, quartered
- 1 baby bok choy, trimmed, leaves separated
- Kosher salt
- 8 oz. head-on shrimp (about 12)
- 1⁄4 cup XO Sauce