Because this classic southern Italian dish is so incredibly simple, the ingredients should be chosen with care. Use unpeeled tomatoes if you can—even though they are less sweet and more bitter with the skins on, they help create chunks and texture in the sauce because they don't break down into a pulp. If desired, warm your pasta bowls before serving.
This recipe comes courtesy of Eataly Italia’s corporate executive chef, Enrico Panero.
Featured in: The Path to Perfect Spaghetti al Pomodoro
What You Will Need
- 2 (12-oz.) jars whole red datterini tomatoes (preferably Così Com'è brand)
- ¼ cups Ligurian taggiasca extra-virgin olive oil (preferably ROI brand), plus more for drizzling
- Sea salt (preferably Il Mercante di Spezie brand)
- Kosher salt
- 1 (17.6-oz.) package spaghetti di Gragnano (preferably Afeltra Carta Paglia brand)
- Leaves from 4 sprigs fresh basil, coarsely torn or chopped if desired