The cooks at Milli use this spicy green salsa to top freshly griddled tlayocos and other antojitos, a word that translates to “little cravings.” You can serve it immediately, or cover tightly and refrigerate for up to one week.
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 lb. 2 oz. tomatillos, halved if large
- 4 serrano chiles (1½ oz.), stemmed
- ¼ small white onion (1 oz.)
- 1 medium garlic clove
- Kosher salt
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add the oil. Once very hot, add the tomatillos and cook, turning occasionally, until they are lightly charred all over, 12–15 minutes.
- Transfer the tomatillos and any juices to a blender, then return the skillet to medium heat. Add the chiles, onion, and garlic, and cook, turning occasionally, until they are lightly charred all over, 8–10 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the blender with the tomatillos, and blend to make a coarse salsa.
- Transfer to a bowl and season with salt as needed. Let cool to room temperature before serving.