Flat Breads with Two Toppings (Laganes)
In Greece, these flat breads are traditionally cooked on a hearthstone set over hot coals (a cast-iron skillet on the stove works well, too) and served with tomato sauce or sautéed zucchini and feta.
Enlarge Image Credit: Penny De Los Santos
1 1⁄2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1⁄2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
1 cup fine semolina
3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
1⁄2 cup barley flour
1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more
1 tsp. ground coriander
1⁄2 tsp. ground caraway seeds
1⁄4 tsp. ground mahlepi (optional)
1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper,
1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil,
plus more for brushing
1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. tomato paste
3⁄4 cup marsala wine or port
1 tbsp. honey
1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes or
1⁄2 tsp. Aleppo pepper, plus more
1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes,
undrained and crushed by hand
2 medium zucchini, julienned
14 oz. feta, crumbled
1. In a large bowl, stir together yeast and 1 3⁄4 cups water heated to 115°; let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, semolina, whole wheat and barley flours, salt, coriander, caraway, mahlepi, and pepper until combined. Add yeast mixture and stir to form a dough. Transfer dough to a floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Shape dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl; cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce: Heat 6 tbsp. oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook, stirring, until glossy, about 2 minutes. Add marsala, honey, cinnamon, chile flakes, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Season sauce with salt and set aside.
3. Heat remaining oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 8 minutes; set aside.
4. Uncover dough, divide into 16 portions; roll each into a ball. Transfer dough balls to a floured baking sheet and cover with a damp tea towel; let rest for 30 minutes. Working with one dough ball at a time, transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface and use a rolling pin to roll dough into an 8" disk about 1⁄2" thick; transfer the disk to a parchment paper–lined, floured baking sheet, sprinkle with more flour, and repeat with remaining dough, placing a piece of parchment paper between each rolled disk. Cover disks with plastic wrap until ready to use.
5. Heat a 12" cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Working with one dough disk at a time, brush with olive oil and place in skillet. Cook, flipping once, until puffed and golden brown, 3–4 minutes. Spoon tomato sauce or zucchini over top and sprinkle with feta and more chile flakes.
SERVES 8 – 10