Onion Sausage and Beans
Edisto Island, South Carolina, is tranquil and rural. While visiting there we stopped in at The Old Post Office Restaurant to sample their innovative interpretations of Lowcountry cuisine, and found this delightful recipe.
1 cup black beans
2 cups Brown Chicken Stock
1 jalapeño chile
2 ripe tomatoes
1 clove garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 6-oz. onion sausages
1⁄2 cup sour cream
1. Soak beans in cold water overnight. Drain and combine beans, 2 cups water, and stock in a large heavy pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Meanwhile, seed, stem, and finely chop jalapeño. Finely chop tomatoes, setting some aside for garnish. Finely mince garlic.
3. Skim off any foam that has formed on the surface of the beans, lower the heat, add the chopped vegetables. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, adding more water if necessary. Check for tenderness and cook another 10 minutes if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Brown sausage on all sides in a heavy pan. Add 1⁄4 cup water, cover, lower the heat, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid and reduce any liquid left in the pan.
5. To serve, divide the beans among four plates. Place one sausage atop each serving and garnish with chopped tomato and a little sour cream.