Salted and Seasoned Grilled Beef (Noto-gyû Stįki)
1-lb. New York strip (or boneless sirloin) steak,
about 1 1/2" thick
1/4 cup coarse sea salt
1/2 cup sake (or enough to submerge meat)
1/2 cup soy sauce (or enough to submerge meat)
1. Trim fat from steak and for easier handling, cut into 4 smaller steaks. Preheat grill.
2. Pour sea salt into a shallow pan. Dredge each steak in salt, turning to coat well on both sides. When grill is hot, sear steaks just until brown, about 3 minutes per side. (We like our steak on the rare side. If you prefer yours more well-done, add another 1–2 minutes per side at each stage of grilling.
3. Pour sake (or enough to submerge meat) into a bowl. Using tongs, dip steaks into sake to rinse off all salt. Return steaks to hot grill and sear, about 2 minutes per side.
4. Pour soy sauce (or enough to submerge meat) into bowl. Dip steaks into soy sauce and return once again to hot grill. Sear another 2 minutes per side.
5. Remove from grill and slice each steak into 5 pieces. Stick each piece with a small wooden skewer and garnish with fresh watercress.