1⁄2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. plus 1⁄2 cup sugar
9 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
4 cups strawberries, washed and hulled
3⁄4 cup milk
1⁄2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
3 egg yolks
1. Sift 1 1⁄2 cups of the flour, salt, and 1 tbsp. of the sugar into a bowl. Rub butter into flour mixture with your fingers until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle in 3 tbsp. ice water. Work dough on a floured surface until it just holds together. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400°. Place strawberries in a bowl, sprinkle with 1⁄4 cup sugar. Set aside to macerate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
3. Place milk and vanilla bean in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cool slightly, then remove vanilla bean. Whisk egg yolks and remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar together in a bowl until blended. Sprinkle in remaining 1 tbsp. flour while stirring, then gradually whisk in milk. Return mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Push gently through a strainer with a wooden spoon, then set aside to cool.
4. Roll out pastry dough on a floured surface, then line a 9" tart pan with it. Prick dough all over with a fork. Cover dough with foil and fill with dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans and continue baking until shell is golden, 10–15 minutes. Allow to cool.
5. Stir juice from berries into pastry cream, then spread mixture evenly in tart shell. Arrange strawberries upright atop mixture. Serve at once.