- Flour, for dusting
- ½ recipe Flaky Butter Pie Dough
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 3"-piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, minced
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, minced
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp. Kosher salt
- 3 tbsp. confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped candied ginger
1. Heat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12″ round. Fit into a 9″ pie plate. Trim edges and crimp; chill 30 minutes. Using a fork, prick the dough all over. Line dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans; bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove paper and weights; let cool.
2. Reduce oven to 325°. Bring 1/2 cup cream and ginger to a simmer in a 1-qt. saucepan over medium heat; set aside and cool to room temperature. Strain cream, discarding ginger, and set aside.
3. Place butter and chocolates in a bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water. Heat, stirring until melted, 1–2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
4. Whisk sugar and eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy. Whisk in cornmeal, ground ginger, and salt until smooth. Pour in melted chocolate in a thin stream, whisking constantly. Whisk in reserved cream. Pour filling over dough; using a rubber spatula, spread into an even layer. Bake until just set in the center, 30–35 minutes. Transfer pie to a rack; let cool completely.
5. Whip remaining cream with confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread whipped cream over surface of pie, leaving a 1″ border; garnish with candied ginger.