First, I had to remove the individual pods from the plants. Some plants sported a dozen or so pods, some only three or four, but they weren't clustered together like grapes, and they couldn't just be shaken off. They had to be plucked off, one at a time. This process took me almost two hours, and my hands ended up not only tired but blackened, as if by soot (but actually by oxalic acid from the leaves). Then, I started on the pods. Some contained a single bean, and I could usually pop it out with a squeeze. Others contained two beans, and had to be literally torn apart. Once I exposed them, the beans turned out to be green. That familiar yellowish chickpea color comes only with age, I realized.