New Orleans institution Commander's Palace, now run by cousins Lally Brennan and Ti Adelaide Martin, was built in 1880 by Emile Commander. Brennan and Martin like to say that while they hold the keys to Commander's Palace, the landmark restaurant really belongs to New Orleans. Similarly, the family home next door, which was also built in the 1800s, is occupied by two of the original proprietors of Commander's: sisters Dottie and Ella (Ti's mother) Brennan. But the house, they say, belongs to the whole family.
The interior of the Brennan family home has all of the grandeur and French charm that you would expect from a historic 19th-century house in the Crescent City’s Garden District. The rooms are large and airy with high ceilings and exquisite plaster mouldings. The hardwood floors feature multicolored decorative inlays. And each room is beautifully appointed with antiques, art, and other collectibles. While the kitchen doesn’t get much use (meals are prepared at Commander’s), the rest of the opulent rooms are always ready for entertaining, with heirloom plates, Baccarat crystal decanters, and vintage shakers. Here are some of the things that make the historic Brennan house so special.