M. Manze, a family-owned establishment on Tower Bridge Road in southeast London, was founded in 1902 by Michele Manze, an immigrant from the southern Italian village of Ravello. Although it is now the oldest, and one of the last remaining, London shops of its kind, it wasn't the first. Pie and mash shops date to the 1870s at the latest, and those businesses build on an even older tradition, starting in the 11th century, of hawkers' selling meat and fish pies from boxes slung around their necks. M. Manze, like most pie and mash shops, used to serve its mash and liquor—a traditional, thickened parsley sauce—with three kinds of pie: minced beef, mutton, or eel. Those slippery fish—once abundant in the river Thames and also imported by Dutch traders—appealed to working-class Londoners seeking cheap protein. Not only were they baked into pie; they were stewed, jellied in their rendered fat, and sold live from vats. The mutton and eel pies, having fallen out of fashion, are no longer available at M. Manze, but you may still order stewed and jellied eels, prepared according to Michele Manze's recipes.