Megan Zhang is a culture journalist based in New York City. She is the Senior Editor of Culture & Trends at Saveur.
- Backpacked through more than two dozen countries
- Hosted a travel show that took her across China
- Greatly enjoys folding dumplings, eating bitter chocolate, and hiking near the ocean
ExperienceMegan’s work has appeared in BBC, CNN, Bon Appétit, Condé Nast Traveler, Food52, and Hemispheres, among others. She previously hosted the TV show Travelogue, trekking across China to report on cultural events, traditions, and foodways. During the COVID-19 pandemic, she created the blog Talking Through Walls to document how COVID-19 uniquely impacted diverse lives around the world. In 2021, the Guild of Food Writers Awards named her a Highly Commended Writer.
EducationMegan graduated from New York University with a bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism and psychology. She later pursued her master’s degree at the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism.
Desert Island IngredientThe earthy, nutty flavor of toasted sesame paste jazzes up just about everything—sweet and savory! I can’t get enough of it for drizzling over vegetables, whipping up sauces, and baking quick breads and bars. Plus, it goes great with fish, which I’m assuming will be plentiful on this desert island.
- In Mexico City, Aztec-Era Floating Gardens Offer a Path to Sustainable Eating Condé Nast Traveler
- This Hyper-Seasonal Eating Strategy Helps Prevent My Winter Colds Healthyish
- You Think 2020 Was the Year of Sourdough? Look Back to the Gold Rush Food52
- Whenever I'm sick, I turn to this silky egg dish for comfort Today
- 'Our hearts are hurting': Elderly Chinese isolated as SF dim sum restaurants shutter in pandemic SFGate
- Portfolio Megan Zhang