Artichokes in Cilantro and Pomegranate Sauce
In northern Syria, cilantro and pomegranate molasses are used to flavor many local dishes like this one.
Yield: serves 4
- 2-3 medium (ripe or canned) tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 hearts of steamed medium artichokes, halved if large
- 2 tbsp. pomegranate molasses
- Place tomatoes in a medium-meshed sieve set over a small bowl. Use a spoon to press juice through. Reserve juice; discard seeds and skin.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and cilantro, season with salt, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium, add reserved tomato juice, artichokes, and 1 cup water, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer artichokes to a serving platter, then increase heat to medium-high, add pomegranate molasses, and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, 1–2 minutes. Spoon over artichokes and serve.