Lima Beans with Eggs and Dill (Baghali Ghatogh)
Eggs cooked with dill-scented lima beans is a comforting northern Iranian specialty. This recipe first appeared in our March 2012 issue, with Anissa Helou’s story The Land of Bread and Spice.
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups finely chopped dill
- 1 cup dried lima beans, soaked overnight, drained
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed saffron
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- Saffron threads, to garnish
- Heat butter in a 12″ skillet over medium heat. Add turmeric and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add 3 cups dill and the beans; cook until dill is slightly wilted, about 2 minutes. Add crushed saffron and 5 cups water; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until beans are tender, about 1½ hours. Season with salt and pepper; stir in remaining dill. Using a spoon, form 4 shallow wells in bean mixture; crack an egg into each well. Cook until eggs are cooked over-easy, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with saffron before serving.