Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Use a sharp cheddar for this classic American side dish.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1⁄2 lb. medium elbow macaroni
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3⁄4 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cups cream
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cups bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain, toss with 2 tbsp. of the butter in a medium bowl, and place in a baking dish.
- Heat milk and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Stir in grated cheese. When cheese melts, pour sauce over macaroni and mix well. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot with remaining 2 tbsp. butter. Bake till golden brown and bubbly, 30–35 minutes.