Don't be put off by the need to shuck oysters for this dish—it's easier than you think, plus unshucked oysters cooked in the shell will not benefit from the smoky flavors of the grill.
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 16 oysters, scrubbed and shucked, in the half-shell
- 8 tsp. melted butter
Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger, and cook for 3 minutes.
Stir lemon juice, ketchup, and mustard into onion mixture. Lower heat and simmer 1 hour. Cool and strain barbecue sauce. (Makes 1 1⁄2 cups and keeps for 2 weeks refrigerated.)
Preheat grill. Place shells oyster-up on grill and top each with 1⁄2 tsp. melted butter and 1⁄2 tsp. barbecue sauce. Cook until opaque, about 3 minutes.