Shuck a mess of oysters for this dish—one bite of their slightly poached, oh-so-tender meat, and you'll be glad you did.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 16 oysters, scrubbed and shucked, in the half-shell
- 8 tsp. melted butter
- Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and ginger, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir lemon juice, ketchup, and mustard into onion mixture. Lower heat and simmer 1 hour. Cool and strain barbecue sauce. (Makes 1 1⁄2 cups and keeps for 2 weeks refrigerated.)
- Preheat grill. Place shells oyster-up on grill and top each with 1⁄2 tsp. melted butter and 1⁄2 tsp. barbecue sauce. Cook until opaque, about 3 minutes.